What is Arthritis: Plainly put, arthritis is inflammation of one or more joints that leads to the breakdown of cartilage.
So Why is this Bad: The cartilage in your body works like your shock absorber. If there is no cartilage, your bones just rub together causing pain! Can you say ouch?!
What causes This: Wear and tear of your body is the general culprit, however other things such as obesity, infections, broken bones, biomechanical dysfunction, and even autoimmune diseases can cause arthritis.
Common locations for arthritis: The spine, hands, hips, and knees are the most common locations for arthritis.
So do I have arthritis: *Please no self-diagnosis* Here are a list of common signs and symptoms…
- Pain in your joints
- Warmth and redness around the joint
- Morning stiffness
- Inability to move the joint
Is arthritis reversible: Unfortunately arthritis is not reversible, however you can slow down the progression of the deterioration. If you catch it in its early stages you can live without seeing the effects.
- Low impact activity such as walking, swimming, bike riding, and stretching.
- Aerobic exercise is good for the cardiovascular system and for losing weight if that is part of the problem, along with strengthening exercises to help with the muscles.
- Research states that if an overweight person with arthritis in their knees loses just 10 lbs that their pain will decrease by 50%.
- If you are having a flare up, ice is a good anti inflammatory. You have to be careful with ice though only leave it on for 15 minutes, because any longer than that can cause an adverse effect. Also make sure to have a barrier between you and the ice.
- Avoid sitting for too long.
- Eat foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids, such as cold water fish (wild caught salmon, mackerel, and herring), flaxseed, pumpkin seeds, and walnuts are a huge help. Omega-3s play an important role in reducing inflammation throughout the body, in the blood vessels, and the joints.
- Chiropractic adjustments!! I know you didn’t think that I was going to leave this one out. Chiropractic adjustments help to align the body, be it in the spine or in the extremities to allow proper movement.
- Hydration, drinking enough water is a must. So much of your body runs off water. The joints in your body need that hydration so that they do not get dried out and begin to deteriorate faster.
* Most information was gathered from the National Institute of Health and the pictures were obtained via Google.*